Thursday 10 November 2011

Its Got to be... Furfect!

Sorry for the terrible pun in the title but I thought it worked quite well! Anyway, back to the point, moving into my second year at university I have been faced with many more challenges than the previous year, one of them being fur. But I don’t mean a higher level of education challenge.
I always find fur a challenge, whether it’s wearing, working or even talking about fur. There are so many ethical issues around the fashion statement that it’s hard to express your feelings without being scorned at.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think it’s right to kill harmless animals for a selfish cause such as a fashion piece and I do stand by that. However, I do love fur, fake fur is the only option of course – or is it?
Here is my problem; my great Nan has a real, black, glossy fur coat that has been passed down through the family, and I could be next in line. I really want it, it’s gorgeous, but can I outweigh the ethical issues and feeling of guilt somehow? I don’t think I can, but I can give it a try. Even if I don’t wear it it’s already been made so would be a massive waste not to wear it? And no one has to know its real right?

My problem is that my views aren’t strong enough. I wish I was totally against it; I like to think I am but I see my nans coat and just want it, it’s like Phoebe in friends when she gets a fur coat – totally against it until she tries it on.
Until I am actually passed down that real fur coat, my decision for now is to stick to the fake ones, and to be honest I think it always will be, just think it’s a shame to leave such a beautiful coat in the attic until my children can find a better reason than I could to wear it instead of a fake one!

No comments :

Post a Comment