Saturday 15 September 2012

Revival of the fittest

It seems no one is a stranger to vintage and retro fashion these days, with shops popping up in popular towns and cities, as well as being able to access them on websites such as yayer.com, teapotvintage.com and even eBay.
However, the best things really do come for free as my favourite old time pieces were given to me by my parents. For example, this genuine Levi's denim jacket. I was sorting things out to sell on eBay once, and my dad said he had something I could sell; when he pulled out this dime I refused to sell it on and kept it for myself. Okay it's a little too big but the oversized feel gives it a more relaxed and urban adjustment to any outfit.
Another piece I could not let my mum throw away was her classic polka dot shirt. Ever since I can remember she has had the chiffon piece and I couldn't help but keep it. Maybe it's an attachment thing, I don't know, but I love wearing it open as kimono/cardigan over a simple outfit. Teach my mum how it really should have been worn (minus the shoulder pads and flared jeans of the 80s).
The fashion cycle is an inevitable thing, every 20 years or so fashion repeats itself with a twist, so the best place to look is deep into your parents, or even grandparents wardrobes. However, good finds can be like gold dust and only the strongest fashions should revive; so please leave the shell suits at the back of the wardrobe, where they should forever stay.

No comments :

Post a Comment