Sunday 16 September 2012

#LFW

If you don't know anything about London fashion week (LFW) then you've either had your head in the sand for the last few days or really couldn't care less about fashion. If its the last one, you are really missing out.
For those who do know what it is, it's a week of excitement, anticipation and you're itching to get involved. Well this year I did.
Replying to a tweet that I never thought I'd get a reply from was a frustrating experience. I desperately wanted to be part of the fashion riots but felt it was a lost cause.
Until I got a reply.. "thank you for getting in touch, Bora Aksu would love to have you intern with us this season". Yes! Best news ever, I couldn't help but reply a soppy email saying how grateful I was to get the chance to be part of it.
Leading up to the 14th September I was extremely nervous; what if they're all bitchy? What if I don't understand what they ask me to do? The usual questions that I imagine to run through every interns mind.
Arriving 40 minutes early I felt a Tesco meal deal was in order to calm my nerves and waste some time.
However, if I knew then I would have arrived late as we had to wait 45 minutes after arrival time until we were allowed in.
While waiting all 12 interns were left to converse about what shows they had previously done and what they aspire to do. I felt inferior to the 16 year old boy who had just come back from New York, has a place at Central St Martins and his mother is a stylist for Elle magazine.
Having to wait for so long wasn't so much a problem though, looking round at all the extravagant guests and celebrity spotting passed time quickly. Plus the Bora Aksu staff were lovely, nothing like I expected; apologising every ten minutes about keeping us waiting.
Finally, when we could get in to backstage B, it was chaos. People running around, half naked models changing in front of you. I felt like a spare part and being at the bottom of the food chain as an intern i was asked to move out the way on more than one occasion.
We were taken through to the catwalk and out job was to fill the goodie bags with gifts and show people to their seats- easy peasy! Though the goofy bags were not as straight forward as it first seemed, many gifts were short a couple and someone had put the wrong nail varnishes in and suddenly everyone went into panic.
As you could imagine everyone was racing for front row even though seats were assigned, so I found it slightly awkward having to tell people to move, especially when I wasn't sure who half the famous people were.
I got shoved out the way by some photographers who were trying to picture Kate Nash and Kelly Brooke but to be honest I wanted to get out the way, didn't want to be caught in the back of any of their pictures pulling a face!
After all the chaos had settled it was time to watch the show and I was amazed that we could watch. The place was full, they were running out of seats and after watching the show I can see why. Bora Aksu was simply amazing, even down to the lighting and the music of violins added to the show.
Whilst watching I realised how much I want to be part of this again next season and every season.
The only disappointment I felt all day was that I was promised a T-shirt and gift but never received one!

No comments :

Post a Comment