Sunday 22 January 2012

Collar Craze

It seems to me that everyone is going back to school and are on a craze for collars, don’t you agree? I can’t help but be part of this fashion revolution; as a top button girl myself I can’t resist a collar with a bit of attitude and think accessorizing them is a big thumbs up. However, it all depends on the type of collar (who knew a collar on a shirt could have so many different styles and names ay?)
First of all, if you have a Peter Pan collar, you don’t really have to do much to it. But ALWAYS have the top button done up, as it’s not as easy to pull off the open collar look with these. Although, if you want to jazz it up a bit maybe adding some studs to toughen the look could work wonders, as collars are quite feminine and preppy. Or, if you want to continue the trend, maybe try pearls, it’s not hard to do it yourself.
I think my all-time favourite collar is the standard turned-down collar. It works well in so many ways, and can be accessorised really well- which of course is what fashion is all about. A turned down collar on a crisp white shirt is always a winner, and I like to wear mine with either a bow tie or a crossed over piece of material. They are also easy to get away with having the top button loose but I personally choose not to. Another one of my favourites is my black sheer shirt with the studded collar from Zara, it couldn’t be more on trend.
I recently bought a shirt from Urban Outfitters and the collar is beautiful. Right at the point of the shirt it has metal bits which really add to the shirt. It makes it so much more different which I find Urban outfitters do quite a lot with their clothes, you should keep a look out for interesting collar designs.

Another collar that is making its way on to the catwalk is the sailor collar. Traditionally witnessed on sailor’s uniforms (hence the name) it consists of a deep V at the front. I have come across quite a few of these in Primark but haven’t seen one I would like to purchase yet.

One for the men out there is the granddad collar, which in fact is no collar at all, as seen on Olly Murs with his very tight trousers. He pulls it off really well but I think you need quite a relaxed style, and they need to be worn with skinny light jeans to be at their best.
Continuing with this collar debate, you can now wear collars without even wearing a shirt. If you haven’t come across them already you can now buy a collar by itself. I have been looking for one for ages, and have only found them in Miss Selfridges for about £16 but I still haven’t found ‘the one’. They look really good with a high neck jumper if you want the prim and proper look. Or to embrace the messy-cool look, wear it with a baggy top to juxtapose the styles. However, I feel studs would be more appropriate for the second look and pearls for the first.

Take it back to the school days, but this time do your top button up willingly. The more accessories the better and let’s just hope I actually find the collar I’ve desperately been looking for. This is not a trend to be missed!

No comments :

Post a Comment